Sunday, September 21, 2008

Retail Therapy

This morning B and I went lawn bowling with some friends, and then we all went out to brunch afterwards. On the way back to our cars we passed a baby boutique. My feminine instinct to shop kicked in, and I immediately needed to be in that store. The group we were with doesn't know about our "situation," so I couldn't invite them all on our shopping excursion. I told B about the store, and he said that we could wait in the car a few minutes and then go in after the other couple had left!! I couldn't believe my ears. I thought I was hallucinating. B, who despises shopping in any form, wanted to go into a baby boutique?! We said our goodbyes and then waited in the car for them to leave. I felt like we were on a covert operation. A few minutes after they all left we snuck out of our car and then briskly walked into the baby boutique.

I couldn't believe that I was happily walking into a baby store. This time last year I was invited to a baby shower. I remember going to buy the baby shower gift and then crying my eyes out immediately afterwards. It was one of those uncontrollable sobs where you can't catch your breath. I dried my eyes with the pretty tissue paper that they had just wrapped the gift with, and then I wished that their baby would have colic. I know, I know, wishing that on anyone is F'ed up, but it made me feel better at the time. I really wish that at that very low point I could have seen a year into the future and known that it would be OK. So here I am now on a united front with my best partner in crime walking into a baby boutique to buy something for our Million Rupee Baby. To say that we were overwhelmed or out of our element would be a serious understatement. I can only speak for me when I say this, but I was sweating like a whore in church.

Our visit was quick and productive. We were in and out in five minutes with only $19.95 in damages. We bought Million Rupee Baby his or her first stuffed animal -- an elephant (of course we'll assume it's an Indian elephant).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cute that your hubby wanted to go to the baby store with you?! I've managed to drag my husband to Babies 'R Us a couple times lately - it's amazing what babies can do to a man!! :)

I'm so happy for you guys!